Belizean sunrise

Friday 1 April 2011

Placencia Belize - 3rd time

083 - U2 - I Still Haven\'t Found What I\'m Looking For

Powered by mp3skull.com I should have started this Blog a long time ago but oh well, never too late.

I'm here in Placencia for my 3rd trip since Aug 2010.   Came here at end of August for a Tradewinds Sailing Cruise and spent an extra week checking out 2 other parts of Belize:  the most popular area Ambergris Cay, and San Ignacio in western Belize's Cayo District.

Came back in Oct-Nov 2010 to Placencia for 3 weeks and stayed at 2 properties that were for sale to see how  I liked it.  Two weeks in an older beach house in Maya Beach, about 8 miles up the Peninsula, which is mostly expats.  Then one week in a new condo at the far west tip of Peninsula, from where I took the background picture.  I think I prefer near the village.

Hard to explain the appeal of Placencia.  Not for everyone.  Not even sure it's for me.  Pretty hot and humid.  But it is in the tropics..duhhh.  But you can take a siesta during the hot part of the day.

I had met a nice lady in Nov who had an apt which was available so am now here for 6 weeks or so.  It's small but very nice and all one needs.  Nice location on the north edge of town.  One block from beach and   less than that to the lagoon the other way.  The actual village is only a mile long and maybe 3 blocks wide from the sea to the lagoon.

The narrow Placencia Peninsula runs another 15 miles north and there is a lot of growth by North Americans along that stretch.  Especially now that the main (and only) road has been paved.  Even an international airport being built.

Went to the annual "Taste of the Peninsula" and "fireman's ball" tonight.  Fund raiser for volunteer fire dept.  Most of the town was there - well, maybe more like most of the North Americans.  There is that separation at times.  Held at Tipsy Tuna open-air bar right on the beach.  Perfect evening...80ish with nice sea breeze.   Lots of  fun.  Great food...most restaurants made a special dish.  Fire dancer was pretty cool.

Slowly meeting more people.  Takes time for me.  But Belize is a great place to get away alone if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment